We love donuts and lemon blueberry donuts are the perfect treat during the summer. If you are making these lemon blueberry donuts for breakfast or as a snack, you will always hit the spot with the lemon and blueberry flavors mixed together.
We also suggest that you use this recipe with any of your favorite summer flavors or even carry it over into fall and winter. The basic recipe will work with any combination of flavors of fruits. And these days, it does seem that baked sweets are a tad bit better for you than fried ones, like donuts, fried in oil. So give our recipe a try and let us know your thoughts or ideas on mixing up the flavor of ingredients in your donut recipe.
An Added Treat to Go with Lemon Blueberry Donuts
Coffee is one of the most popular drinks that we love to enjoy and while you can run to your local coffee shop to get a cup of coffee, making your own coffee drink at home is much simpler than you think. We think that adding your favorite cup of coffee with our lemon blueberry donuts will start your day or fill your snack craving right on the spot. Take a look at some of our favorite coffee drinks HERE.
Lemon Blueberry Baked Yeast Donuts
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice or ½ tablespoon of lemon extract
- 1 c of warm water
- Lemon vanilla glaze
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon of water
- Step 1 Making the donuts:
- Step 2 In one small bowl:
- Step 3 Add the yeast in the warm water.
- Step 4 Add 1 tsp of sugar to the yeast and water.
- Step 5 Allow the proof.
- Step 6 In a large bowl:
- Step 7 Combine salt, flour and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Step 8 Create a well in the center.
- Step 9 Add the yeast mixture.
- Step 10 Add butter and vanilla.
- Step 11 Stir to combine.
- Step 12 Cover and let the dough rise for about an hour.
- Step 13 When the dough has doubled in size add the lemon juice or extract and blueberries.
- Step 14 Gently fold the fruit into the dough and allow to rise for about 30 minutes longer.
- Step 15 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 16 Getting the dough into your donut pans can be done in several ways. You can squeeze the dough in via a pastry bag, or you can work it with your hands and carefully lay it into the donut pans in a rough circle of dough.
- Step 17 When the dough is in the pans, let it sit on your warm stovetop and rest for 10 minutes.
- Step 18 Bake the donuts for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Step 19 While the donuts are baking, mix up a glaze if desired.
- Step 20 Making the glaze:
- Step 21 Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice to a mixing bowl. With a whisk, begin stirring, and add 1 tablespoon of water. Mix until smooth. If your glaze seems to thick, add more water, about a half a teaspoon at a time until you have a thin consistency.
- Step 22 Add in zest. Stir.
- Step 23 When the donuts come out of the oven, allow them to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Step 24 Dip the donut tops into the glaze and allow them to dry for about 5 minutes before serving.