Sometimes you just want a good homemade supper that fills your tummy and tastes good. We can’t do box mixes here at our home because of food allergies but really…….we love homemade anyway. So this is a simple recipe to throw together in a hurry and the ingredients are simple enough to have on hand regularly.
You could have the onions and peppers chopped ahead of time and waiting in the fridge if you are working or planning to make this after ball practice or dance rehearsal. This is a one-pot meal so clean up will be a breeze.
Carolina Red Rice
Healthy One-Pot Meal that is full of Southern flavor.
- • 2 cups white rice
- • 1 lb smoked sausage links cut into thin slices
- • 2 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 medium onion, medium dice
- • 1 green bell pepper, medium dice
- • 3 C water, plus additional if needed
- • 4 oz can tomato paste
- • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- • 1 Tbsp butter
- • Dash of Cayenne pepper to taste
- • Salt & Pepper to taste
- Step 1 1. Cook sausage until browned in a large pot over med-high heat
- Step 2 2. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until translucent – about 3 minutes
- Step 3 3. Add butter and rice, cook, until rice is slightly browned – about 3 minutes
- Step 4 4. Slowly water and remaining ingredients, stir to incorporate thoroughly.
- Step 5 5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Step 6 6. If you need more water, add small amounts as needed. Cook until rice is tender.
- Step 7 7. Enjoy!
- Step 8 * Note white rice makes sticky rice so your rice will be sticky and not fluffy.