Today we are talking about Ways to Show Hospitality While Going Through Your Week. We are called in many ways to show hospitality every day and if you think about it……most days you probably already are. You just don’t even realize it. It’s in a smile, opening a door for someone, offering to help carry something, or holding a crying child while a mom tends to another child.
Most people think that showing hospitality can only be done in their homes. Home is a wonderful place to show it. But it doesn’t always have to be in the home. Sometimes you might show it in the person’s own home to who you are ministering. It might be to an older person in the grocery store, or a new mom at your church…..for that matter….anyone at your church. You could turn in any direction and offer or give hospitality without even trying.
Let’s look at what the word means by starting with the definition from Webster –
Nowhere did it mention being in your home or inviting someone over to your home or even cooking or feeding someone. All of these are wonderful ways to show hospitality but it did not say it was required. So we need to take that off of ourselves and give ourselves some liberty or freedom on “how” we show hospitality.
In the Bible, Hospitality is mentioned in this way,
1 Peter 4:9-10 Use hospitality one to another without grudging. 10. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Romans 12: 9-10, 13-15 – 9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; ………….13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
12 Ways to Show Hospitality While Going Through Your Week
Understanding what true hospitality is, will help you be able to show it to those around you. It doesn’t take a lot of money or having a fancy home. No one has to know how to cook or bake like a master chef…… You just need to open your heart and sometimes your home and let those around you in. I have made a list of 12 ways to show hospitality while going through your week. Keep practicing these steps and before you know it you will be showing hospitality without even knowing it.
- Invite someone over for a meal or just dessert
- Give a hug to everyone as you come into the church or a gathering with friends
- Double a recipe and take someone a meal in need
- Ask someone about their day and sit down to really listen
- Babysit for a young family or a mom who needs to grocery shop
- Give fresh flowers. Most grocery stores have small bundles on sale every day.
- Give a smile with someone you don’t know while you are in town
- Send an encouraging text message to a young person who needs to know someone is thinking of them
- Offer a word of encouragement when you see someone at church that have been out sick
- Share some homemade goodies with an older couple or widower
- Send a notecard to someone who hasn’t been around much lately
- Pay for the coffee drink for someone behind you inline
We Have Some Helpful Ways To Serve Your Guest