Fall is in the air and apples are ready for picking. This is the perfect time to gather some of your favorite recipes and dishes and put a new spin on them. This is a great one to start with. These mini hand held pies will be a great addition to your afternoons and evenings out by the fire pit or patio. Pack some up for your next road trip or church gathering. I plan to make a few batches and freeze some for our fellowship with friends at our house. There are so many ways to use this recipe and bring a change to your apple pie eating this fall. And think ahead to holiday time and plan some for gift-giving to those who stop by for a quick visit.
Mini Apple Pies
Easy and So delicious!
- • 4 tablespoons butter, plus some for dotting
- • 2 pounds apples, peeled and chopped
- • ½ cup sugar
- • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- • Pinch of salt
- • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1 home-made pie crust or 14-ounce package refrigerated pie dough
- • 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Step 1 1. Preheat the oven to 375˚. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, sugar, lemon juice and salt and cook, stirring, until tender, 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cinnamon, let cool.
- Step 2 2. Cut the pie dough into twelve 4-inch rounds, use the scraps to cut into strips. Press the dough rounds into a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Step 3 Add the apple filling, then arrange the dough strips on top to make the a lattice. Brush the crusts with the egg and dot with butter.
- Step 4 Bake until the crusts are browned and the filling is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Step 5 Transfer to a rack and let cool before removing from the pan.